Thursday, April 7, 2011

April Morning

Imag0136

I woke up this morning and this is what I saw.  It's two weeks, or maybe one week, past winter and my expectations are budding trees, flowering cherry blossoms, fields of tulips and the fragrance of spring filling the air.  If you take this picture out of it's context, of being a snow day in spring, it looks like an amazing winter day.  The fog is disguises the horizon, frost clings to even the tinyest branches and blades of grass defiantly poke through the frozen tundra.  I can see it for what it is.  It is beauty and it is glorious.  

The problem with a day like this happening in April is that it conflicts with our expectations of what should be.  I compare my expectation of a sunny, green day with what is, a gloomy continuation of winter, and there lies the conflict.  This conflict can make a day miserable if the gap between expectation and reality is too great. I know we all experience this gap in one way or another. 

I don't think it is about lowering expectations or removing them either. Removing the judgement is what needs to be done. After the judgement is gone I can experience much more than I thought possible. I want to remove the labels and see the beauty in the moment and celebrate it for all it is. I want to remember to separate my judgement from what it really is. 

 

Posted via email from Phil's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home